Can a regular sales tax exemption certificate be filed with the utility company?

In most states, the answer is no. Since a utility study is required in every state with an exemption, there typically is a special exemption certificate used for electric, gas, and water. The proper documentation and the detailed engineering study meeting Department of Revenue requirements usually accompanies the exemption certificate. Each state has a different procedure for filing the exemption and classifying production equipment versus non-production.